Persian rugs are a hand-knotted treasure that can provide a fine accent to any room and a hint of personality. They have a look of class and elegance about them that give your home an authentic and original feel. They are known for being durable and long-lasting, as are other oriental rugs, but it is crucial to care for them properly. To preserve the beauty of your hand-made Persian rug, certain precautions have to be taken and in this article we’re going to provide you with a few tips to help you protect yours.
Caring for Persian Rugs: What You Need to Know
Proper rug care is essential if you don’t want to be constantly replacing your rugs. Be sure to keep these tips in mind when you buy a Persian rug and implement them on a day to day basis.
- Minimize exposure to direct sunlight as sunlight can damage the rug, causing patterns and colors to fade or lighten.
- To minimize a wear pattern on your rug, move furniture around so that walkways are changed and furniture is not resting in the same position on your rug for too long. If you move furniture around fairly frequently, the wear damage will not be as severe as it could be, ensuring it remains aesthetically pleasing for many years to come.
- Vacuum your rug regularly to keep it clean, but be sure to turn off the beater bar as it can cause a run or tear.
- Do not leave a spill, clean it up immediately. Absorb any spillages quickly with paper towels to keep it from spreading. To minimize damage to the backing of rug, place paper towels under the rug where the spillage is located. Only use water to clean up spills and if the rug is stained, contact a rug repair professional as soon as possible.
- To refresh your rug and get rid of any smell, air out the rug, but do so when the sun is not out. Do not beat the rug to get rid of dust, as it weakens the fibers.
Persian rugs can really add to your home and give it that look of elegance, but proper care is essential. If you wish to protect your rug from damage caused by water, pets, chemicals, furniture, the sun, or uneven wear and prolong its life, the precautionary tips that we have just mentioned should be followed.
Where Can I Get One?
If you happen to be in the Toronto area, visit Weavers Plus, one of the premium broadloom stores and persian rug stores in Toronto. We have a great selection of antique rugs, contemporary rugs, Persian rugs, modern rugs, Oriental rugs, and traditional rugs. We also offer services for rug repair and rug cleaning.